November 26, 2013 • 1:32 pm 0
November 26, 2013 • 1:30 pm 0
nov 21, 2103
She posted in her FaceBook account her seven-paragraph statement Thursday afternoon, first describing the decision as “a turning point in our history” and as a “response to the growing public clamor to abolish the PDAF due to recently-discovered, large-scale scams involving the misuse of the PDAF.”
The congresswoman said that the House leadership, “to its great credit” had already expressed its support to the Supreme Court ruling “even before the decision was ever made.”
“The Supreme Court’s decision’s effects and consequences will be felt most especially by Members of Congress, whose roles and responsibilities in the past were largely defined by how they dispensed their PDAF, rather than how they performed in legislation,” she said.
“The battleground has now shifted from the ability to “bring home the bacon” for the district, to one requiring time-tested and reliable skills on lobbying and pushing for responsive laws,” she added.
“However, with this change, we ask our constituents for understanding. The old way by which we were able to directly help and intervene in crises, problems and social issues by funding programs and projects is no longer the case. We will continue to help, but in newer and different ways,” she said.
“Our world as lawmakers has been interminably changed with the abolition of the PDAF. The job of being a legislator has now become a full-time, highly technical and exacting profession, demanding necessary training, experience and a fully evolved worldview for the public good.”
“We can no longer tackle our role as the voice of the people through the traditional way of doing things, nor can we entrust it to those who rely solely on patronage and transactional politics to achieve their own selfish ends. We owe it to our constituents to transform accordingly, with the requirements of the times. If we fail to rise to the challenge, then we will do so as a disservice to the public. Let us thus welcome the sea-change of reform, and let us ride the tide of new beginnings in fiscal responsibility and accountability in governance,” the second-termer congresswoman concluded. (Rural Urban News/Cha Monforte)
November 26, 2013 • 1:29 pm 0
November 26, 2013 • 1:26 pm 0
nov 17, 2013
Bureau of Customs Commissioner Ruffy Biazon asked in Twitter by a popular sports commentator on what action he has made on the alleged smuggler of “hot rice” using the Davao City port tweeted back trying to clarify his agency’s position on rice smuggling issue.
Sports commentator Ronnie Nathanielsz tweeted Biazon this Sunday: “The name of the alleged smuggler was given. What has Customs done about this?”
The commentator called the attention of Biazon on a news story “Davao import probe pushed” carried Sunday by a Manila paper, where the Samahang Industriya ng Agrikultura (Sinag) called for a Senate inquiry on the rampant smuggling of rice in the country, particularly in ports outside of Metro Manila, such as the BOC’s Davao port.
“The Manila Standard reports about 200,000 metric tons of rice being smuggled through Davao. Is this also not true?” Nathanielsz asked further.
Sinag president Rosendo So said that there was a recent entry of more than 200,000 cavans of hot rice that have been smuggled through the Davao port.
“We believe that the hot rice shipment is still part of the smuggling operations of a certain David Tan,” So added.
Sinag – a coalition of 33 farmers’ and irrigators’ associations – earlier tagged Tan as the head of the country’s biggest rice smuggling syndicate.
Biazon replied in series of tweets that “What is being reported as smuggled rice are those which were imported without getting import permits.”
“The rice has been put on hold by customs, not allowed to be released,” he said.
“The importers didn’t get import permits becoz they believe they don’t need it w/ the expiration of Quantitative Restrictions (under World Trade Organization agreements),” he added.
“The NFA’s position is that import permits are still required inspite of the expiration of QR under WTO agreements” and “(as) implementors of policy, we will implement the policies of regulatory agencies such as NFA,” Biazon said.
However, “(T)he importers took legal action to question our actions in holding the shipments,” he added.
The report said that last month the Department of Agriculture and BOC also seized 403 container vans of smuggled rice in Davao. (Rural Urban News/Cha Monforte)
November 26, 2013 • 1:23 pm 0
November 26, 2013 • 1:20 pm 0
nov 10, 2103
The biggest government-run Southern Philippines Medical Center in Davao City is scheduled to construct next year a building for centralized intensive care unit (ICU) having four floors costing P80-P100 million.
SPMC Chief of Hospital Dr. Leopoldo Vega bared in an interview that aside to the centralized ICU building whose budget is already incorporated in SPMC’s 2014 total budget, the construction of a separate building for obstetric care (OB) department for women and children patients is also proposed by the SPMC management considering the congestion of the present space for them at present.
“It also costs the same, about P80-100 million,” he said.
The present gym within SPMC’s compound at Bajada area would be converted into a centralized ICU building.
The scheduled budget for the ICU building would stop SPMC’s five-year drought of having no capital outlay for infrastructure from the national government.
The last time that the SPMC got a capital outlay was in 2008 when the P30 million was provided for the upgrading of wards.
Dr. Vega also bared that the SPMC management has proposed for next year’s general appropriations a total of about P305 million, of which P250 million is for the salaries and wages of personnel while about P55 million is for maintenance and other operating expenses (MOOE).
He said that currently SPMC, which has a total of 750 personnel, is saddled in responding to an average of 1,200 admitted patients, 1,010 out patients, and an average of 840 patients taken into emergency room.
“SPMC is experiencing a gradual 12-15 percent yearly increase of patients,” he added. (Rural Urban News/Cha Monforte)
November 26, 2013 • 1:18 pm 0
nov 5, 2013
The barangay captain who won by landslide in the recent polls in Barangay Magugpo East, Tagum City started a small business making banana chips out from fresh cardava bananas.
Thirteen years later, it became a multi-million business, undoubtedly, in fact, now the country’s biggest banana chips’ manufacturer and exporter.
Punong barangay-elect Ian Neo, 35 years old, recalls that the family-owned Four Seasons Fruits Corporation (FSFC) he founded in June 2001 started in manual operations with only P200,000 as starting capital.
“Instead of using slicing machines, I hired slicers to cut the fresh cardava bananas into desired pieces. For two years, it went on that way. Manual operation is too laborious and has low production, but I never compromised the quality of our products to be accepted for export,” he said.
His first buyers were exporters from Davao City and Cagayan de Oro City, and luck suddenly came one day in 2003 when he met a buyer abroad who accepted unlimited supply of FSFC’S quality banana chips, which come in five slices- the round wholes, halves, quarters, brokens and the slants.
It was time for FSFC to directly export its banana chips to wholesale importers overseas which would do the repacking and branding for retail consumption.
“From there, FSFC had been clutching to its strong operations, forcing us to buy cardavas beyond our usual sources in Davao del Norte and Compostela Valley, and hence, from different parts of Regions XI and XII as far as Cotabato and Caraga region to satisfy the buyers’ demand of 1.56 million kilos of banana chips in every 26 days,” Neo recalled.
“As this huge foreign market of our products came along into our way, we were able to acquire a one unit rover and several trucks for hauling of fresh cardava bananas, and transported our finished products to Davao City seaport. We then sharply changed our operation into technological manner using high-tech machines to meet the demand of best-quality products,” he added.
“We also bought few hectares of land at Barangay Apokon, Tagum City as the proper location of the manufacturing plant of the Four Seasons Fruits Corporation,” he beamed with pride.
Todate, FSFC’s quality banana chips reach the markets of Africa, Canada, European countries, Middle East, Asian and Scandinavian countries and United States.
He said that right now the FSFC has a correspondent marketing arm based in Hongkong.
But the Kapitan’s company was “deeply affected” by the wrath of vicious typhoon Pablo last December.
“Pablo toppled down our near sources and we were forced to procure mainly from far sources, which shot up our transportation and other costs. Our production at present is already considered sold in forward booking for January 2014. The markets we have niched on went shaky and became volatile as our supply was often short of the demand. At times we operated at loss just for our 700 factory workers to continue earning a living. Now we produce only around 1 million kilos from an average of 2 million kilos a month before Pablo,” he recalled his company’s coming on survival throes in the months following the typhoon.
But a captain of the banana chips’ industry as he has been through the years in banana-producing Mindanao regions, kapitan-elect Ian is seeing in the near horizon that “by early next year the FSFC will be back to normal” as the newly-planted cardava bananas of farmers in flood-ravaged, typhoon-stricken areas have already grown up and started bearing fruits.
There are only four banana chips’ manufacturer-exporters operating in Davao del Norte including FSFC, which is the only locally owned and homegrown among them. There is none in Compostela Valley.
Ian is a graduate of Bachelor of Science in Accountancy, major in Management Accounting at the Ateneo de Davao University. After he completed his college degree, he worked first in Metro Bank-Davao City, but his father, outgoing three-termer barangay captain Santiago Neo, urged him to stop from his work and suggested to start a business of his own. And so he started the FSFC small.
For his feat in making FSFC big put from cardavas, he was chosen as the national Gawad Saka agri-entrepreneur awardee for the years 2010-2011 as bestowed no less than by President Benigno Aquino III.
Asked if could still steer on the barangay while he is FSFC’s chief executive officer at the same time, Kapitan-elect Ian says, “It’s all tight systems going on well at FSFC, which will even pour its corporate social responsibility to the barangay. It’s a matter of managing people and resources with the bottomline that barangay constituents’ welfare is not sacrificed.”
In managing FSFC, Ian has in his side his able chief finance officer, wife Mary Lorraine. (Rural Urban News/Cha Monforte)
November 26, 2013 • 1:15 pm 0
November 26, 2013 • 1:13 pm 0
November 26, 2013 • 1:11 pm 0