Archive for joecab caballero

Ex-Gov. Caballero, Mancao run for board members in Comval

Posted in atty. roland tusay, boardmember kris caballero, mayor manuel brillantes jr with tags , , , , , , , , on October 8, 2012 by cha monforte

By Cha Monforte, Rural Urban News

Former Compostela Valley Governor Jose “Joecab” Caballero had filed his certificate of candidacy (COC) for board member for the district 2 of Compostela Valley late Friday afternoon.

Ex-Gov. Jose “Joecab” Caballero

 His COC as independent candidate was filed by his lawyer Roland Tusay.In a phone interview, Caballero said that he is running for the post in next year’s election “as foremost I am a lawyer.”

He said, “I can do a lot to serve and infuse ideas for good provincial leadership, for good governance and for public service.”

“I can humble myself for the sake of public service. It is not the position that is important but public service,” he added.

Caballero was the first elected governor of Compostela Valley after its creation in 1998 from mother province of Davao del Norte. He held the governor’s post for three terms ending in 2007.

The former governor has his daughter Kris Caballero, a first-termer board member in the same district, running for reelection under the Liberal Party led by current second-termer Governor Arturo “Chiongkee” Uy.

Uy is unopposed for the next year’s polls for his last term and has his runningmate for vice governor ex-Congressman Manuel “Way Kurat” Zamora, who is opposed by independent candidate Franco Tito, erstwhile famed ex-barangay captain of Mt. Diwalwal.

On the other hand, the controversial former police superintendent and state witness Cesar Mancao II is running for board member in the province’s first district. He ran for congressman in the same district in 2010 polls but lost to now first-termer Congresswoman Maricar Zamora, who has no opponent in her reelection bid in next year’s polls.

Mancao was being questioned by Sen. Panfilo Lacson as a government witness in the Dacer-Corbito double murder case and at the recent the Dept. of Justice tried to transfer Mancao’s custody from the department’s Witness Protection Program (WPP) to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

Cesar Mancao II

Earlier, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said that because of the Supreme Court’s affirmation of a Court of Appeals ruling that Mancao was an unreliable witness and the Manila Regional Trial Court’s decision to deny Mancao’s motion to be discharged as co-accused and to turn witness, there was no basis anymore to have him covered by the WPP.  Discharging Mancao as a state witness would make him one of the accused, a legal scenario that is yet being challenged by Mancao’s lawyers.

Last year, the Court of Appeals ruled that Mancao was an unreliable witness when he implicated Sen. Lacson in the murders of publicist Salvador “Bubby” Dacer and his driver Emmanuel Corbito in November 2000.

Local pundits speculated that Caballero and Mancao are electoral shoo-ins, sure winners and are no-pushover personages, perhaps legislative spoilers who may dillute and put a legislative wringer to the political consolidation efforts and to the 2016 political plans of Gov. Uy during his coming last term.

Uy and Caballero have been then known to be bitter political enemies. Uy, then boardmember starting 2004, became later the leader of the opposing majority of the provincial board, when Caballero anointed her own daughter, Boardmember Kris to be his gubernatorial choice for governor in the 2007 polls.

Board Member Kris Caballero

In that hotly contested 2007 gubernatorial race, Uy defeated Kris. In 2010 polls Kris ran independently for boardmember and won a separate new first term.

After the Caballero era in governorship (1998-2007), it was time for Uy to build his own undisputed leadership and his own era. For his first two terms, Gov. Uy managed to have the mayors and political leaders trooped under the Uswag Comval party he organized. Early in his first term, he surprisingly forged reconciliation with Monkayo Mayor Manuel Brilantes, whose family had longstanding conflict, at times incidentally violent, with the Uys stemming from their mining interests in Diwalwal.

Pushing what can be seen as a political unification strategy, Uy was sooner seen as the province’s political kingpin-power broker incumbent, and his Uswag Comval as one united party that rules all throughout except in Pantukan town where Uy’s reconciliation efforts faltered to win the hard-to-get opposing, now outgoing Mayor JC Celso “Tok” Sarenas after they had a falling out months close before the last 2010 polls.

Sarenas is not running in the 2013 polls and will take a political forlough but in his lieu he has anointed his son Chino to succeed him as mayor.

If the Brillanteses have Uswag Comval seriously close to their hearts, that would also be true to Monkayo. But the Brillanteses are more concerned of continuing their tight grip of the politics of Monkayo as a political family than local party adherents as now senior Board Member Lito Brillantes and the mayor are running for mayor and vice mayor, respectively, in next year’s election- both unopposed as well as largely their complete municipal slate. (Rural Urban News/Cha Monforte)

NEWS: Gov. Chiongkee, Comval incumbents stick to Lakas, Gibo

Posted in bobong amatong, chiongkee uy, rey navarro, way kurat zamora with tags , , , , , , on November 28, 2009 by cha monforte

nov 24

Compostela Valley Governor Arturo “Chiongkee” Uy and the rest of incumbent officials under the political aggrupation Uswag Comval have finally decided to stick it out for the administration’s Lakas-Kampi-CMD Sunday evening in final minutes during what could be described as intense political meeting called for to choose who should be their presidential candidate.

In a closed door three-hour meeting held at Miko’s Brew coffee bar in Tagum City, the group decided as “final” to remain with the administration party and support the  administration party’s standard bearer Gilbert “Gibo” Teodoro, confirmed Uy in a text message.

The meeting was attended by first district Cong. Manuel “Way Kurat” Zamora , second district Cong. Rommel “Bobong” Amatong, Vice Gov. Ramil Gentugaya, municipal mayors and vice mayors except Monkayo Mayor Manuel Brillantes Jr and his Vice Mayor Avelino Cabag.

Midway in the meeting Laak Mayor Rey Navarro, in an interview, said that the group was “divided” in that Cong. Amatong and several mayors were for Teodoro, as the governor and other mayors rooted for Senator Manny Villar of Nacionalista Party while Cong. Zamora “would side whoever the governor would decide to support” . Sources said that the name of Senator Noynoy Aquino of the Liberal Party was also entertained.

Close to 9 P.M. and about 45 minutes before the meeting ended, Amatong was seen hurrying to leave from the venue.

Sources said that the group then ended up into voting where the administration’s bet emerged to be the choice fearing a break up of Uswag Comval.

After the meeting, Navarro said “it’s final for the sake of unity we go for Lakas and Gibo”, while Mabini Mayor Hajji Amir Munoz said “we agreed that nobody would leave Lakas”.

Uy said in text message that he had already discussed the issue with Mayor Brillantes in a lunch with him Saturday and that the latter agreed to abide with the group’s collective decision.

Earlier, the governor has been much talked of by pundits to be rooting for Villar than with Teodoro although he was reported to be not closing the door to the Nacionalista Party or Liberal Party if ever they would not remain with the administration party citing that “both parties have the firepower needed for the elections.”

Meanwhile, in separate interview, former Maco Mayor Miller Alaba, who said he is an ardent fan of former President Cory Aquino and presidential candidate Noynoy Aquino, said that “Gov. Uy’s act of going down under his partymates is so humbling and endearing to me”.

Alaba said that while he would go for the opposition he would support Uy and would not support this early former Gov. Jose “Joecab” Caballero who has been reportedly forming slates under the opposition, possibly swooping down to get the vacant NP now for either a gubernatorial comeback or a renewed congressional run.

The recent support the Uswag Comval has at least boosted up Teodoro in the province despite that he is far trailing behind in local surveys reportedly made by local politicians while Aquino has remained to rank number 1. (By Cha Monforte/Rural Urban News)

NEWS: Zero ‘pork barrel’ for DavNor BMs for 2009

Posted in gov. rodolfo del rosario with tags , , , , on September 24, 2008 by cha monforte

sept 23

The Davao del Norte Sangguniang Panlalawigan approved yesterday the province’s Annual Investment Plan (AIP) for 2009 without an item Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) which has been looked up as the pork barrel fund of provincial boardmembers just like the first year in the administration of Governor Rodolfo del Rosario.

Boardmember Roger Israel, despite moving for the approval of the AIP yesterday, ostensibly expressed drawn-out regret for the absence of PDAF for boardmembers and vice governor and prayed that they still be given for it next year from other sources and re-aligned items of the chief executive.

Sources said that Gov. del Rosario when he won for his present term had stopped the practice of giving PDAF amounting to P500,000 per year to boardmembers as what had happened during the time of his predecessor Gov. Gelacio Gementiza.

But Boardmember Jose Recarido Federiso, an advocate of participatory governance, on the other hand, reminded anew his colleagues to put the AIP to proper consultations with the people starting at the grassroots level, the barangays and puroks “so the people could express their sentiments” on government plans.

The AIP, which is a compendium of identified projects, was just submitted last week to the SP after a joint meeting with relevant committees and department heads.

A government project could not be funded and implemented without being listed in the AIP otherwise it is illegal under the law.

On the other hand, sources said that the Compostela Valley provincial boardmembers had accordingly concurred with the move of Gov. Arturo “Chiongkee” Uy of not giving them PDAF since the first year so that their PDAFs could instead be funded for high-impact infrastructure projects like the school buildings and roads.

During the time of former Gov. Jose “Joecab” Caballero, the Davao del Norte’s PDAF came in the budgetary item, financial assistance to the SP. It was popularly dubbed as Rural Development Fund (RDF) which mimicked the congressman’s Countryside Development Fund (CDF) or later the PDAF.

During Caballero’s last term, each boardmember and the vice governor shared P1 million and P2 million yearly direct allocations, respectively, with each half of it treated as grants and donations in accounts in the legislative department. It was directly disbursed passing only the vice governor’s approval.

Later the Commission on Audit disallowed the RDF directly disbursed without the governor’s approval which ended one boardmember to the Ombudsman for allegedly giving it to fictitious dead and sick constituents.

The former governor justified that he was giving RDF as show of magnanimity and understanding to fellow incumbent politicians who had been faced with a lot of solicitations and requests from constituents using thousands of reasons ranging from cradle to grave. (Cha Monforte/Rural Urban News) http://ruralurbanews.blogspot.com

NEWS: Way Kurat: “I’m willing to face the SP” “But Joecab should also go there”

Posted in joecab caballero, way kurat zamora with tags , , on September 15, 2008 by cha monforte

july 14

Compostela Valley Congressman Manuel “Way Kurat” Zamora (1st District) has accepted the challenge of former Gov. Jose “Joecab” Caballero saying that he is very much willing to go to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan to shed light about what he can remember during the meeting with Chinese-speaking investors and with President Arroyo herself during her visit to Compostela town last July 2006.

In that presidential visit, the President announced at Zamora’s congressional office that she was bringing with her investors of Chinese firm ZTE Corp interested to invest in mining ventures in the province.

In an interview over the weekend, Cong. Zamora said that Caballero was right in saying that the President came to visit her congressional office and was also right for passing the buck of the issue to the congressman but “with all respect to him, Caballero should also go there” referring to the SP which moved last week to conduct a legislative inquiry on the reported $1-billion mining project of ZTE Corp to Diwalwal.

Zamora suggested that since he is on the thick of marathon budget hearings at press time until October 11 and onwards Caballero should first face the SP so that his statements “could be put on the record” and “after that, file a motion for me to appear”.

“I’m willing to appear but I could not just be available due to the marathon hearings,” Zamora said.

Zamora said that during the presidential visit there was indeed a meeting that occurred inside his congressional office with the President and Chinese-speaking officials with their interpreters.

But, he said, he did not know what were the particular companies the Chinese-speaking visitors were representing for.

He said he was not the only the one who knew what transpired during the meeting since former 2nd District Cong. Prospero Amatong and all the mayors were also there except Monkayo Mayor Manuel “Junjun” Brillantes.

Caballero, then governor at that time, was not invited to attend in Compostela visit of Arroyo but reports said that he and Brillantes had also met with ZTE investors at Marco Polo Hotel during the visit.

Caballero, in separate interview, denied he met with ZTE officials saying they were only having their lunch with Mayor Brillantes at the hotel while the President graced for the launching of the congressman’s earthworm and nursery project at his congressional office.

Currently, the ZTE Corp is embroiled anew of another controversy about its award of mining rights over 8,000 hectares of mineral reservation in Diwalwal a year after the firm figured in the anomalous NBN deal. The firm was accused of giving millions of bribe money to national officials including the President to bag the multi-billion NBN contract.

For its legislative probe, the SP entasked last week its environment committee to call Caballero, Finance Secretary Peter Favila, DENR Sec. Lito Atienza, former DENR Sec. Michael Defensor and others to shed light on the report of $1-billion deal of the ZTE Corp. for the mining rights over Diwalwal which the SP feared could trigger unease among Diwalwal miners if the report is not clarified.

The SP acted on following privilege speech of Boardmember Dexter Lopoz who notified his colleagues two weeks ago about the deal as first hinted by an editorial of the Philippine Star before the new ZTE controversy hit the current headlines.

Boardmember Neri Barte joined with Lopoz last week calling for legislative probe on ZTE’s Diwalwal deal which got the SP nod. (Cha Monforte/Rural Urban News) http://ruralurbanews.blogspot.com