Archive for January, 2014

Customs Davao Port posts P531.46 M collection in November; report on shifted smuggling in Davao Port belied

Posted in Uncategorized with tags on January 7, 2014 by cha monforte

dec 7, 2013

There is no bust in the collection of the Bureau of Customs Port of Davao when now resigned Commissioner Ruffy Biazon was still on its helm as the port posted 7-percent increase or P531.46 million cash collection for the month of November 2013. 
 
For the said month BOC Davao targeted a total of P496.42 million.
Contributing most in the total collection are BOC Davao’s two ports- in Sasa and Tibungco- which collected from November 1 to 27 cash worth P467,397,874 from customs duties and charges, which is 4-percent up from its P451,586,741 collection target, bared BOC Davao acting cashier Melody Magdadaro. 
 
BOC Davao’s sub-port in General Santos City grossed a cash collection of P64,067,152.62, a 47-percent up from the target of P45,527,771.  
 
The usually laggard sub-ports of Parang and Mati, posted no collection, with targets of P956,488 and P350,000, respectively.
 
Meanwhile, a BOC Davao insider belied report that Davao Port is one port outside of Manila’s ports to where smugglers have shifted their hot shipments as Manila port was put under tight control amid the massive reforms pursued by Biazon.
 
“Whoever spinned that rumor up must have made a good cover to continue their illegal operations there at the expense of us and our good collections,” he said.
 
“Kawawa naman kami, parang inaapi na, na-SONA na kami, na back to mother unit na kami, tapos yang rumor na naman yan,” he added. 
 
Last August 8 when Biazon visited BOC Davao Port to lead the opening of 6 seized container vans with contrabands worth P7.2 million, in a press conference, he even congratulated BOC Davao Port officials for “always surpassing the targets, which makes it different.”
 
BOC Davao Port has been consistently hitting its target this year despite reeling from having no regular collector and experiencing frequent organizational changes and revamps resulting from Biazon’s reform moves.
 
For the past five years, the BOC Davao has consistently surpassed its assigned collection even as the entire Bureau of Customs and major ports in Metro Manila and other parts of the country failed to reach their target.
 
BOC Davao OIC collector now is Customs Collector IV Samsom Pacasum, who assumed the post last October 21, after the temporary restraining order filed by several customs officials against Biazon and Dept. of Finance Secretary Cesar Purisima to oppose their transfer to DoF’s Customs Policy Research Office (CPRO) was finally dismissed by a regional trial court in Manila. (Rural Urban News/Cha Monforte)

Typhoon Pablo-struck banana industry makes Davao Norte’s P1.92 B tax goal hard to attain

Posted in Uncategorized with tags on January 7, 2014 by cha monforte
dec 6, 2013
 
The Revenue District Office No. 112 based in Tagum City can certainly not attain its tax collection goal of P1.92 billion by December 2013 as it only collected taxes worth P1.68 billion only as of the end of October.
 
Revenue District Officer Nelia Demalata said in an interview Thursday that the target balance of P227 million is barely hard to collect considering that it has only two months left to collect while RDO 112’s average monthly tax collection target is P100 million. 
 
Demalata attributed the biggest shortfall in the tax collection from the banana industry, which had already a goal-to-collection deficit of P233 million until September 13, 2013.
 
With this and the general trend of economic slowdown after typhoon Pablo struck December last year has given negative impact to the tax collection efforts of RDO 112, she added.
 
RDO 112 is in charge of the collection of taxes in the provinces of Davao del Norte and Compostela Valley, where the export cavendish banana production thrives as Top 1 throughout the country.
 
Typhoon Pablo, which just crossed its one-year anniversary, badly ravaged the banana production of the two provinces. 
 
“Compared to last year, banana planters paid paid taxes but with a decrease of 12 percent as of October 2013 while in the previous years before Pablo they posted an average growth rate of 25 percent in tax collection,” Demalata said.
 
She said that RDO 112’s tax collection has ever relied on the stable tax accounts such as the remittances from withholding taxes from national government agencies and local government units, general merchandises, wholesalers and retailers, “which have already hit 12.35 percent over from the tax goal.”
 
RDO’s figures for November 2013 have yet to be consolidated at press time. (Rural Urban News/Cha Monforte)

Bukidnon Governor Zubiri furious over broadcaster Dignos killing, putting up reward to arrest the brain and killers

Posted in Uncategorized on January 7, 2014 by cha monforte

dec 4, 2013

Vowing “justice must be served to him”, Bukidnon Jose Maria Zubiri  Jr was furious over the killing of hard-hitting broadcaster Joash Dignos last Friday night at downtown Valencia City by four motorcycle-riding assassins.

 

Image

Bukidnon Governor Jose Ma. Zubiri, Jr.

In phone-patch interview Tuesday with DXVM Ukay Valencia with anchor Jun Estore, the governor vowed to act within his power to give justice to Dignos, whom he described as a “close friend” who “was killed because he stood on issues.”

A visibly furious governor said on the air that “it’s the first time I heard and come to know of a mediaman killed in Bukidnon in my 40 years of residing here.”

He bared that he has been following up with the Bureau of National Investigation and other law enforcement authorities to arrest the mastermind and hired killers and bring them to justice.

He said that by the coming Monday session of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan he would be seeking authority from the legislative body to put up reward money out from the province’s peace and order budget for those who can give information leading to the arrest of the perpetrators.

“There were times that Joash hit me (on the air). He is a fighter. He fought against abusers, and that’s his legacy to us,” the governor said.

He said he wanted Dignos’ killers especially “sa utok” (brain) arrested and put behind bars.

He said it is not only Dignos whom he wants to be given justice but also for others murdered in strings of  killings involving barangay captains, even as he expressed worriness over the rising crime incidents in his province that he said has long been tranquil and peaceful under care and administration.

He also said that he is looking into reports that there is “a syndicate of hired killers” in the province.

The governor wanted them uncovered whether they are backed up by few armed politicians in the province and neutralized.

Gov. Zubiri also wanted the police to neutralize drug pushers and illegal gamblers in his campaign against criminalities which he said would be thrust in his administration as he reassumed his new first term after graduating in his three terms in 2007.

He declared he would not seek reelection anymore by 2016 if he could not neutralize and contain the problem of criminality. 

The governor swapped post with his now Vice Governor Alex Calingasan last May polls to recapture the old post he held for three terms.

Various press clubs in Bukidnon, the Integrated Bar of the Philippines-Bukidnon Chapter and other press clubs and media organizations in the country have strongly condemned the brutal killing of Dignos and called authorities to swiftly arrest and bring perpetrators to justice.

Meanwhile, the NBI, CIDG and the police have already their suspects in Dignos killing who are now subject of a wide manhunt, following President Aquino’s directive to get them, said provincial Board Member Gordon Torres, the franchise owner of DXGT Radyo Abante in Maramag town, where Dignos had a blocktime program “Bombardeo”. (Rural Urban News/Cha Monforte)